Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Being labelled 'Christian'

I know, I know, I should be either studying for my test tomorrow or at least be working on my preparation for the SUTD interview this coming Saturday (I'm getting slightly nervous).

BUT, I just can't get this issue of my mind. Here it goes.

Sometimes, when we listen to music for example, then you see that a particular song is from a so-called 'Christian' band or group or singer. So you listen to it. Then you've come to realise that the song has lyrics that does not reflect the Christian values. Then I think, "Hold on a sec. Isn't this song sung by a Christian singer?"

Upon reflection, I have come to the conclusion that this is about discernment. Whether it is a song, a book, a movie, or even a sermon, just because it talks about being 'Christian', about 'God', about 'Jesus', or about 'the Bible' doesn't mean that it is right.

It's hard to tell what's right and what's wrong, because sometimes the line defining right and wrong is so blurred and greyed.

Grant me the gift of discernment, God!

matthew.
Generalisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment