Saturday, December 11, 2010

Post-SUMEX

I can finally heave a sigh of relief; it is the end of my course. To my surprise, there are many take-aways from this course.

Apart from the skills, I've learned much more in terms of interacting with other people, with my peers and with my superiors.

#1: Respect the other, and he will give you the same respect.
Cliche it may sound, but it's true. 1 Peter 2:17 says, "Show proper respect to everyone." It's about how you want others to treat you, and you treat them the same way.

#2: Be frank.
Leviticus 19:17 says, "Do not hate a fellow Israelite in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in their guilt." While I have not been frank to everyone I have interacted with, I do find it important to be honest and frank with my peers. I don't see the point in harbouring disdain for them, for it will worsen our working relationship.

#3: Do not judge others.
Luke 6:37 says, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven." This is one of the greatest challenges I faced throughout my course. There are certain activities or inactivities that my peers engage in that I feel are not right. But it's a very fine line between doing what is right and being self-righteous.

#4: Set an example.
Romans 2:12 says, "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is — his good, pleasing and perfect will." Therefore, as what Titus 2:7 says, "In everything set them an example by doing what is good." This came across to me as doing things in an unconventional way, beyond the understanding or norm of my peers. It's not about branding myself as 'righteous' or 'holy', but to really do what is right in God's eyes. It's our choice to be of the world, or of heaven.

Another take-away is definitely a renewed sense of purpose to doing what I do. After this course, I have come to a better understanding of the significance of the recce vocation, and I now take greater pride in what I do.

Lastly, with utmost gratitude to God, I thank Him for allowing me to become one of the Honourary Graduate of the course, a.k.a. the Silver Bayonet. Ever since I received it, I have never thought that I deserved it. The problem was that my performance was not especially outstanding, and I can say that some of my peers probably deserve it more than me, so I never really told anyone else outside the army. But, it is how the school recognises and identifies who deserves the Bayonet. Disputed or not, it is finalised. God has allowed it. I should live up to it, rather than be fixed on thinking that I don't deserve it.

My journey has just begun. The road is long and windy. 2 Corinthians 12:10 says, "For when I am weak, then I am strong." I still have many areas to improve and gaps to fill. I pray, then, Jesus, that You give me strength and perseverance to continue the days, and "press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14)

matthew.
Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment