Sunday, June 7, 2009

On the World Map

Finally, an economic union in Africa has launched some kind of economic reform to boost regional trade. COMESA (Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa) that is made up of 19 countries has a deal that in the long run will help to lift countries that have been plagued by political and economic instability out of poverty. 

While analysts and economists may reckon that this might not help these countries much, (because they don't trade with one another), I believe that such a deal will pave the way for greater growth in the region, placing these long-neglected countries back on the globalised world map we are in today. 

It is saddening to see African countries struggle on through decades while the rest of the world (even countries in Latin America) moves on to globalise and modernise themselves. 

During one consultation I had with my human geography teacher, I point out that African countries should form something parallel to the United States of America: The United States of Africa. She simply laughed, but I checked it up on my own back at home. I realised that this idea is not impossible; countries and leaders on the large continent south of Europe have actually put forth discussion regarding a United States of Africa, a union that will have the largest total territory and the 3rd largest population after China and India. 

Isn't the idea just fantastic?
Yes, but not really. 

Given the political situation in different countries, the myriad of economic differences and levels of development in them, it would be difficult to throw all of them into one federation like that. African countries now belong to a union called African Union, which many have criticised it for its failure in a multitude of problems. 

Nevertheless, it is a concept that can be materialised. I look forward to such a federation in the future.

matthew.
I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment