It was before midnight, and I was heading home from Oldham Hall. I just missed 48, the direct bus that takes me back to Marine Parade where I live, so I took a cab instead.
I almost missed the taxi because I had thoughts in my mind and I didn't pay attention to the road. Thankfully, this driver stopped for me. While riding the cab, I started small talk with the driver. I asked him how business was nowadays, and how it was at night. It is not encouraging in this time and age after the financial crisis, and for him, it's his part-time job. He has another job in the day.
The uncle has a wife and three kids, which I overheard during his phone call with his wife who was asking when he was going to be back. They talked about paying which child's school fees to pay first, and that he will go for one more round after sending me to Marine Parade.
He also mentioned about how difficult the taxi business is nowadays, and how it will go uphill once the Circle Line is done. Many drivers will be out of work. It's worse for him, because sitting too long in the cab hurts his lower spine, which he injured during his younger days as a regular in the army.
I was feeling down already, knowing his situation. I felt that people of our generation, especially those who are capable, should really take into consideration these people's perspectives when embarking on large-scale projects like the Circle Line. It hurts to know that while a group of wealthier people make money, do business and get richer, another group of the less wealthy have to work more jobs to make ends meet, to send their kids to school and at least give them a decent environment to grow up in.
The uncle later revealed he was a newly-converted Christian of less than a year. (Praise the Lord!) I was thoroughly amazed as he shared of his plight, and how his sister brought him to church when he was facing difficulties in life.
It was past midnight. We were near where I'm staying presently. He even gave me advice on entering NS. He wished me all the best and a good night. I gave my thanks and told him that I will pray for him.
He still has to send his kids to school that morning.
He doesn't know how conflicted I am within me: I was happy beyond words, yet anguished at the same time. I am happy and grateful because it was no coincidence that I got onto his taxi. He said he mentioned to his cell group leader that he couldn't attend cell group at night because he needed to work part-time as a taxi driver, and that of his customers, 50% will be Christians. God made that possible.
I started walking home after I alighted. I knew I was crying in my heart for this uncle. God bless this family!
matthew.
In His time.
No comments:
Post a Comment