Monday, May 2, 2011

Which Ministry?

A few posts back, I blogged about self-righteous service versus true service.
"True service is indiscriminate in its ministry."

This phrase spoke a lot to me. For a long time, I've been thinking of serving in church. The question is, which ministry?

To be honest, I was waiting on God to speak to me, to give me some direction, to tell me what to do. But I figured that He just wasn't going to do that, not in a "Matthew, you should serve in THIS ministry," or "Matthew, I send you to THAT ministry." Instead, it was in His time to impress on me the different ministries that are open, the different needs of the church, and let me decide. God gave us the freedom of choice, and He wants me to exercise it.

A couple of weeks ago, Rev Dr Wee Boon Hup preached on "3G". "3G" does not refer to 3G communications; rather, he refers "3G" to having three generations of Christians, the first generation being able to pass on the faith and knowledge not only to the second, but also to and beyond the third generation. Perhaps God planted the thought in me to consider youth ministry, because I felt strongly about the importance of reaching out to youths. As a youth myself, I believe that this phase in life is very crucial, when our hearts and minds are capable of being moulded, of being malleable to the Word of God.

Therefore, I asked Tung whether I could sit in for 5612 Ministry, which I did at the 8am 5612 Service. It was a good experience. Nonetheless, I was reminded starkly of the verse "the harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few." (Luke 10:2)

Today, after visiting SKS Bookstore, we headed to AMK for lunch. God, You are really quite amazing, but at the same time, quite unfathomable. Over lunch, I received Wee Peng's message to consider Usher Ministry, and subsequently, Davinia asked me to consider sitting in for 123 Ministry, and also consider Children's Ministry.

I am simply overwhelmed by the number of doors that are open to me. I need to pray about all of these options.

Oh Father, please guard me against losing sight of what You have set out for us to do. As in Mark 12:30, You have commanded us to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." May my service be not for my glory, but Yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment