Wednesday, July 20, 2011

July in Hong Kong

I woke up these few days to this:


Hong Kong is fairly sunny, with occasional rain and a lot of clouds. Even as I type, the sky seems to be brewing another cup of storm.

My place is sort of next to the river, though heavily restructured to a straight canal. It is not uncommon to see dragon boaters and canoeists paddling along the canal.

At the same time though, several highways and a railway track runs on the ground, generating an unpleasant volume of noise.


But I'm blessed just to be with my parents, regardless of the environment.

So, is this my home?

Home is where my family is, so this is my home. But it's not easy to always think so, when I only come back once every half a year. I miss interacting on my parents on a daily basis, something that causes rifts between me and my parents once in a while.

Because of this, I sometimes wonder how a normal family functions, or what it constitutes. My parents live overseas. My brother stays in the hostel apart from me, so I don't know how to interact with him. (I try to.)

Yet, this isn't really the point. No one family is normal. Every family is broken in one way or another, and well, there's only well-to-do families, and not-so-well-to-do families. It's really about what you make of your family that matters.

Time to spend more time with my brother when I go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment