Friday, July 22, 2011

Oddities of HK

A week in Hong Kong is about to end, and though I shall fly back to Singapore tomorrow, here are some memorable and odd things I found out here in Hong Kong.

#1: Eating and drinking on trains
This greatly fascinated me. While the train operator, MTR (Mass Transit Railway), imposes a fine of HK$2,000 (approx. S$320) for passengers caught eating and drinking on trains, MTR also encourages people to buy food and drinks from kiosks set up within the train stations.

Inevitably, people, e.g. rushing to work in the morning, will grab a breakfast at the kiosk conveniently located outside the train, rush into the morning train however packed with people, and gobble down their breakfast without qualms, even when signs of the HK$2,000 fine and posters to advise people not to eat and drink are plastered all over the interiors of trains.

It is not uncommon to see people eating and drinking on trains. My mum and I encountered a lady who ate her bread right next to a poster that said, "Inside the paid area, enjoy the ride. When outside, enjoy your food." Funny people.

#2: Rushing into trains before passengers on board can alight.
This is a social graces issue that Singapore faces too. Mainland Chinese tend to do so, but honestly speaking, even Hong Kongers do so. Being 'kiasu' is not a Singaporean phenomenon; it's a global phenomenon.

The most common problem I face is that before I even alight, people are rushing to board the train. At least I haven't encountered any incidents of being forced not to alight at my desired station. So what are these people rushing in for? It's not like they do not have time to board the train. It's mainly because they want to get seats. Unbelievable.

#3: Keeping to the right while on escalators.
Singapore adopts a "Stand on the left" policy, but Hong Kong practises the opposite. "左行右企" means moving on the left and standing stationary on the right. And Hong Kongers do it very well.

It is probably more evident in Hong Kong because of the high density of people everywhere. Yes, everywhere. Hordes of people commuting everyday everywhere helps to accentuate this social grace, I suppose?

That's all for now. There could be a part II. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment